Monday, February 8, 2010

Quote for the Week - Broken heart

"Parents who have surrendered the sweetest and smallest flowers from the family's garden need to remember our Heavenly Father. He has promised a special reward to those who now suffer in silence, who spend long days and longer nights through their trying times of bereavement. Our Creator has promised glory. He said, "For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but nigh at hand." (D&C 58:4) That promised glory includes the blessing of reunion with each child who has left the family circle to help surviving members of the family to draw nearer to God. Those children still live and are a heritage to the Lord."
~ Russel M. Nelson


Elder McKay Burrows McKay and his family

Elder Burrows & familia

My heart was broken last Saturday. My neighbor and a counselor in our stake presidency told me the sad news that a missionary in our stake had passed away. It was unexpected news that left me numb and thinking, it just can't be true.

Elder McKay Burrows and his companion died last Saturday from an accidental natural gas asphyxiation due to a gas leak in their apartment in Romania. He was just 20 years old.

Christopher and Mark happened to be at our home for a visit Saturday and I could hear them laughing and talking downstairs. I paused for a moment to give thanks that they returned safety home (as I have many times) from their missions to Taiwan and Denmark. I also offered a pray for McKay's family, especially his mom. I know Shirley and was at her home for a visit not too long ago. She is from Malaysia. She greeted me at the door in a beautiful Asian dress. She had made scones and herbal tea. We talked for a few hours. Most of the conversation center around McKay. She loved him dearly and was a very proud mom!

So I find myself clinging to my faith again and the hope that we will be reunited one day with those we love.
"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those that love the Lord will be added unto them in his own way. While it may not come at a time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."
~ Joseph B. Wirthlin