Sunday, October 19, 2008

Grandma Federer

My cousins Cindy, Grandma Federer and me!
Unfortunately something was spilled on this picture but I had to include it.

"Flower Garden" quilt Grandma made me for my high school graduation. She cut every piece without the fancy rotary cutters and mats we have now. She sewed every piece together by hand.
Even though she has passed away, I want to wish my
Grandma Federer a Happy Birthday!

Edna May Parker Federer was born October 9, 1898 in Freeman, Missouri (proper pronunciation "Mazzoura!"). She would be 110 years old. She had 9 children, one died as an infant and her son Marion was killed in World War II. She lived nearby so my brother Les and I would often walk to her house. She always made us feel loved. She was the best cook ever. My favorite meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls and strawberry rhubarb pie. Les and I would help her cook or do the chores. We fed the chickens, cleaned the chicken coop, gathered eggs, picked chokecherries for jam and worked in the garden. She worked hard all her life and could do anything. I learned about service and charity from her. She made quilts for all of us and was always crocheting, knitting or sewing something. She never kept anything for herself ... well just one quilt on her bed! I cherish the quilt she made me. My Mom made many of my dresses when I was younger. She gave the fabric scraps to Grandma and she made a beautiful "Flower Garden" quilt from them. She loved pretty dishes and I'm sure that's where my love of dishes came from. She had great faith and believed that the "pure in heart" would see God. She told me that often and I know from watching her example she had that kind of heart.