Monday, November 9, 2020

Missing the "normal"

Lately I find myself daydreaming about 2019 and all that we took for granted. I wish I could back and spend one normal day hugging my friends and crew without thinking twice. I wish Helen could play in a park and make new friends and lick the leftover Halloween Dum Dum stickiness from her fingers without the constant low grade worry about the last time she washed her hands. I wish my grandmother was still here. I wish I never worried when the people I love had a sniffle or sneeze, especially our parents. I miss John Prine and the thrill of visits to New York City on airplanes. I miss our church feeling alive, and busy, and the safety of Sunday School classrooms. It all felt temporary for so many months, but it's beginning to feel like part of me now, this think I'm carrying that's too heavy. I just miss the normal and am feeling the grief in it lately. But I know y'all do too. And I guess there's some comfort in that.

~ Erin Napier