Monday, February 5, 2018

Fork over knives...



I have known for some time that I wanted to try a whole food/plant-based diet. I don't really eat too much meat anyway. My niece Julie has been an inspiration as well as Tiffani. I think it takes a lot of courage and planning to change your diet so dramatically. I know we eat a certain way based on how we grew up, out of habit. We trust what our parents and grandparents put on the table was going to be healthy and good for us. I believe that they did there best based on the information they had, and what was available. (The meat I ate was right from our farm). I have been reading blogs, and watching documentaries, and I'm ready to take the plunge. It's not going to be easy but I want to feed my family more healthy meals. 

I have been following a site called Forks over Knives, and they are a lot of good tips, and recipes.


I watched a documentary call "What 
the Health" and it scared the hell out of me! 

My first attempt at a vegan Sunday meal... 
Santa Fe Penne with whole grain pasta and vegetables. I've never heard of nutritional yeast but it a nice cheese substitute, and tasted good on the pasta. I think I added too much garlic but it was still tasty. The grands didn't love it but they gave it a try. We also had asparagus and golden beets.


For dessert I made chocolate cupcakes with applesauce and whole wheat flour... no butter or sugar. The frosting was made with dates and honey. They were very good. Grey helped me make some cherry ice cream. We used bananas, frozen cherries, vanilla, almond milk, and added a few chocolate chips. We used the food processor and put the mixture in the freezer for a bit. Cash, Colby, Grey really liked dessert. When Grey finished his he said, What else can I have? HaHa!

It felt good to serve a meal without fat, sugar, and meat. I will keep trying to eat this way.