Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Lock down...

Yesterday we had a lock down drill. We have fire and earthquake drills, but a lock down drill has a completely different feeling. I was in a classroom that has a storage room attached. When the principle announced that we were having a lock down drill, Mrs. Jacot and I quickly got the students in the furthest corner of the storage room. We also had to turn off the lights and shut the door of the classroom. The classroom doors are always suppose to be locked. When you practice, you know what to do. You think about protecting the students. I turned off the lights and since the room has no windows, it was very dark. Some of the students were laughing and talking and Mrs. Jacot yelled at them, telling them that it was a lock down, and to be very quiet. They are also never suppose to start texting. A would be gunman could see the lights on the cellphones. I hope the students always take the drills seriously. I learned today that even though it was clearly pretend, it's still frightening. I pray everyday, I really do, that our schools will be safe places.
This is the world we now live in. But I still believe it's a wonderful world with much good, and so many people who care.