Friday, October 23, 2009

80 Over 80

I just had to mention that an on-line Magazine called Slate has honored President Monson as the most influential octogenarian for 2009.

The online current affairs magazine ranked the 82-year-old President Monson No. 1 on its roster of "80 over 80," assembled by Slate in order of power and importance and released this week.

Welcome to the "80 Over 80," Slate's annual list of the nation's silver lions: fourscore elder statesmen, business leaders, cultural icons, and notorious newsmakers who have each remained influential into their ninth decade and beyond. As always, we've ranked these still-twinkling stars according to their power and importance, with extra credit given for energetic achievements post-80 and for being really, really, really old.

In addition to guiding more than 13 million members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President Thomas S. Monson now leads Slate.com's annual list of the nation's most powerful octogenarians.

President Monson was ranked ahead of former U.S. presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and "60 Minutes" personality Andy Rooney.

Ranked second behind President Monson was U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, 89. Stevens ranked first on the list last year, when President Monson wasn't ranked at all.

Rounding out the top five were Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, 85; journalist/media personality Barbara Walters, 80; and former MIT professor and linguist Noam Chomsky, 80.

Also making the list at No. 49 was Earl Holding, the 82-year-old Salt Lake City native who owns Sinclair Oil (and continues to serve as its president and CEO), Snowbasin ski resort near Ogden and the Grand America and Little America hotels in Salt Lake City.

From a talk given by Elder Holland:

"Over the course of his many callings in the Church, President Thomas S. Monson has moved from office to office, location to location. With every move he has carefully taken with him a particular painting. He has had it since he was a bishop in the 1950s. He took it with him when he presided over the Canadian Mission, headquartered in Toronto. It now hangs in the office he occupies as President of the Church. The painting is a striking image of the Lord Jesus Christ by famed artist Heinrich Hofmann.


Christ At Thirty Three Framed Art Print

The painting is more than a decoration for the office wall. It is more than a reminder of who is the “chief corner stone” (Ephesians 2:20) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is more than a declaration that the man called to be President of the Church is expected to be chief among the living witnesses of the Savior. The painting represents an ideal—the Master after whom Thomas Monson has modeled his life. “I love that painting,” President Monson said as he gazed at it yet again. “I feel strength in having it near me. Look at the kindness in those eyes. Look at the warmth of expression. When facing difficult situations, I often look at it and ask myself, ‘What would He do?’ Then I have tried to respond accordingly.”

Through his many years of service, President Monson has kept the pledge he made on October 4, 1963, the day he was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Speaking in the Tabernacle for the first time as a General Authority, he said:

“My sincere prayer today, President McKay, is that I might always obey you and these, my brethren. I pledge my life, all that I may have. I will strive to the utmost of my ability to be what you would want me to be. I am grateful for the words of Jesus Christ, our Savior, when he said:

“ ‘I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him. …’ (Rev. 3:20.)

“I earnestly pray, my brothers and sisters, that my life might merit this promise from our Savior.”

In leading the Church now, perhaps President Monson might say to all of us what he said to the sisters at the September 2007 general Relief Society meeting: “Do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. Then the performance of your tasks will be no miracle, but you will be the miracle.” For those who might protest their lack of qualification or their inadequacy, he might add what he taught in the April 1996 general conference: “Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone. It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” It is obvious to all who know him that the Lord has qualified President Thomas S. Monson for his present call.

In 1985, the year he was called to the First Presidency, he gave to family members his personal memoirs. In that volume he wrote: “Looking back on my life, I acknowledge readily the guiding influence of a loving Heavenly Father. I testify that His watchful care and promised blessings have been welcome gifts to me. His words have lived in my life: ‘I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.’ (D&C 84:88)."

After expressing gratitude for his beloved Frances and their children and grandchildren, he closed, “May I always be found ‘on the Lord’s errand.’ ”

That prayerful hope, expressed 23 years ago, has become a certainty now. Thomas Spencer Monson, by divine call, will spend the rest of his life “going about doing good,” as the Savior he loves so much did before him. He will walk in His footsteps, and he will do so with the inspiration of a favorite painting that will guide every day of that sacred ministry."

I feel blessed to be led by a living prophet~an inspired man who speaks for the Lord, as did Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures.