Friday, September 6, 2024

Labor Day Weekend 2024...


For several months I have had a few strong promptings that I should visit my brothers and other family in Wyoming. My brothers don't like to travel and they really don't like airplanes. So it's up to me to make the trek and I really don't mind. There have been several prairie fires in Wyoming and you could really see the haze. 

It's been about five years since I've visited family in Wyoming. I usually don't let that much time pass but I took a lot of extra trips when Mom was sick and passed, then again when my sister-in-law Mary Kay passed away unexpectedly. I also went to see my brother Kenny several times when he was so ill and exactly four months to the day from when Mary Kay passed, we had to say good bye to him. So much heartbreak the last few years.


There are not too many things better than going home to family,  eating good food, and relaxing.

I always drive out to see my family's ranch and Grandma and Grandpa Federer's homestead. So much has changed but it will always he home to me.


Lloyd called me and told me not to eat at Taco Johns because he was going to grill steaks. Grass fed Federer beef, it just melts in your mouth. Lloyd and Rhonda are excellent hosts. I always feel so welcome at their ranch.



I went for a walk every morning with Mister. He's the sweetest dog.  I heard the Meadowlarks sing too.



Lloyd and I met Theo and his family in town then visited Mom and Les's graves. We also had a nice visit with my cousins Grey and Vicki but I didn't take any pictures.




Brittney, Theo, Raeland, Teagan and my brother Lloyd.

Teagan plays football and is in full teenager mode. He's giving his parents a run for their money, testing their patience, and all those things. Raeland is delightful. He is also playing football, and is taking piano and trombone lessons. I've heard him play and he's doing great.


Lloyd and Rhonda work so hard everyday to keep the ranch going. There is always something to be fixed or fed!







Lloyd took me along to check the cows. Mister came with us and he can work the cows like nobody's business! It's so fun to watch.  


A few cows got out and Mister had them back in the right pasture in no time. Thankfully he avoided being kick by a cow!


We did relax in the evenings and I sure enjoyed watching John Wayne with Lloyd! 


It cools off in the evenings so it was nice to sit by a roaring fire that Lloyd built.


I knew a lot of my family would be gone over Labor Day but I had four days off, so I went ahead with my plans. Lloyd and Rhonda hosted a BBQ and I was so thankful to spend time with my brother Ernie. He is the best storyteller and is very funny. He's looking more and more like Grandpa Federer.


Ern and Lloyd had a good time relocating a few prairie dogs. They are reeking havoc with the pastures.


My cousin Greg, my nephew Carl, and great-nephew Gabe also joined us. It was great to see them. Greg keeps busy with several rental properties he has in town. Carl is coaching Gabe's high school football team. They won their first game! 



How I love the Wyoming sunsets.


Monday I drove the back way to Glenrock. I really wanted to visit Mary Kay's grave. I went to her funeral but she wasn't buried the same day. I found the cemetery but I couldn't find her grave. I called Carl and he navigated me there. Mary Kay was one of the most genuine, loving, forgiving, and helpful people I know.


I also wanted to get a beverage at my niece Kaylynn's business. She now has four Sips location in Wyoming and they are all very successful. Before I could text her and my nephew Jake, Carl had already contacted them. They were waiting for me at the very first Sips location. Kaylynn is a savvy business woman and I'm so proud of her. Her husband was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago but she has managed to keep going and not give up. 


I also wanted to attend the Casper Wyoming Temple open house. Casper is not that far from Glenrock. As I walking up to the temple I heard someone call my name. To my surprise my nephew David and his wife Reese were also there. What are the chances? I was so happy I got to see them. The temple is very beautiful and means so much to the members in the area.





I stopped for a minute at Independence Rock on the way home. It's an interesting part of Wyoming history.






Antelope and cows like Wyoming!


I don't know when I'll make the trek again to Wyoming but I'm still feeling so grateful that I could go over Labor Day weekend. Each time I make that drive I feel I have guardian angels with me. I'm especially thankful that I could spend some time with my brothers. I love them so much.