Sunday, April 21, 2024

Our sweetest hour...



One of my sweetest hours is my morning walk. I usually don't listen to music or podcasts but just pray. I was grateful for Elder Holland's reminder that God does hear every prayer we offer, even if they are answered differently than we had hoped.

Elder Holland did not speak at the last general conference. His wife Pat passed away in July 20, 2023. About 48 hours after her burial, Elder Holland was taken to the hospital with a very acute medical crises. He was in and out of intensive care for about six weeks. During that time I worried that he might not make. I was very grateful that he was the very first speaker at the April general conference. His messages give me hope and they strengthen my testimony. 

"...God hears every prayer we offer and responds to each of them according to the path He has outlined for our perfection. It is for reasons known only to God why prayers are answered differently than we hope—but I promise you they are heard and they are answered according to His unfailing love and cosmic timetable.

We sing that prayers are “motion[s] of a hidden fire,” (Prayer Is the Soul’s Sincere Desire,” Hymns, no. 145) always to be offered, according to the Savior Himself, to God the Eternal Father in the name of His Only Begotten Son.

...our prayers are our sweetest hour, our most “sincere desire,” our simplest, purest form of worship."

Motions of a Hidden Fire | President Jeffrey R. Holland
April 2024