Saturday, July 25, 2020

Pioneer Day...

One hundred and seventy-three years ago the pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley. It took them almost three months to cover the distance we cover in two hours by airplane. They had courage and faith in the midst of many hardships.

The dictionary defines a pioneer as 'one who goes before, showing others the way to follow.' We are all pioneers, and the world needs pioneers today... modern day pioneers that are aware of the needs of others and reaching out to rescue them and show them the way to Christ. We can honor their legacy by living the gospel. ~ President Thomas S. Monson

I had a small glimpse of what the pioneers went through as they crossed the plains of Wyoming. From Guernsey to Glendo I helped pull a handcart that was filled with supplies. I walked in the footsteps of the pioneers for almost 30 miles. I told Cash, Colby, and Grey about my experience. I could tell they thought it was pretty cool. 



You don’t have to push a handcart,
Leave your family dear,
Or walk a thousand miles or more
To be a pioneer!

You do need to have great courage,
Faith to conquer fear,
And work with might for a cause that’s right
To be a pioneer!

We did a few pioneer-like activities. I love our sweet pioneer grandchildren. I know they have courage and their faith is growing.

 Pioneer art...



I made a photo album for Grahm, well really for Grandpa and me! He liked looking at the pictures.





 Pioneer whirlygigs! 



Pioneer sun-catchers 


My pioneer piano player!


 Shhhh, don't tell the pioneers we have blackberries!



Pioneer ice cream in a bag.





 Time for some Pioneer Poppers!





Happy Pioneer Day!