Sunday, May 31, 2020

Place of refuge...

2 Nephi 14:5-6

5 And the Lord will create upon every dwelling-place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day and the shining of a flaming fire by night; for upon all the glory of Zion shall be a defence.
6 And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and a covert from storm and from rain.


During my devotional this morning I read this scripture and I thought of what transpired yesterday.


There were violent protest on the streets of Salt Lake City after an incident in Cincinnati earlier this week. A store owner called police when he alleged that a black man paid for merchandise with counterfeit money. The police pulled over the black man, and a white police officer pinned him to the ground with his knee on his neck for about eight minutes. The black man kept saying, “I can’t breathe." The other police officers present did nothing. The black man, named George died. The police officer has been charged with 3rd degree murder. This sparked protest all over the United States. 

Protests in Salt Lake City yesterday





It was a raging storm of violence, looting, cars being burned, property being destroyed, protester throwing projectiles at police officers and at news reporters. Many people were injured and others were arrested. What should have been a peaceful drive-by protest to encourage change turned into a display of hate and ignorance on the part of most of the protesters. It's unlikely anyone will even remember why there were there. The important message of opposing racism and police brutality was overshadow by violence. I kept thinking the solution is not to burn down a city. I was sadden by this as I watch the destruction on television. I prayed for the police and government officials trying to protect their beloved city. 


I am grateful for the shelter of my home, it is my refuge. In the great storms of life, we too can find protection. The Lord has said He will send a pillar of fire by night and a shadow in the daytime from the heat. He will provide a place of refuge from the storm. I’m grateful for the promises of the Lord, and for His protection for me and my family.