Saturday, June 29, 2019

Longhorns...



I don't how much longer I will be able to say Hi to the Longhorns on my morning walk. Tim heard the property they graze on has been sold and will be a housing development. I think the Longhorns are awesome animals, it makes me sad that the open spaces are quickly disappearing around here. 

(The Texas Longhorn is a breed of cattle known for its characteristic horns, which can extend to over 70 inches (1.8 m) tip to tip for bulls, and up to 100 inches (2.54 m) tip to tip for steers and exceptional cows. They are descendants of the first cattle in the New World, brought by Christopher Columbus and the Spanish colonists, and have a high drought-stress tolerance. Texas Longhorns are known for their diverse coloring, and can be any color or mix of colors, but dark red and white color mixes are the most dominant.) 

So much has change since we moved to Highland about 30 years ago. There were lots of apple orchards and farms. Progress...