Monday, May 28, 2018

Decoration Day and tornados...

Grandma Federer always referred to Memorial Day as Decoration Day. That's what is was called back in the day. The holiday was originally set aside to honor men and woman who died while serving in the U.S military in the years following the Civil War. It became an official federal holiday in 1971. It has expanded to a day of remembrance for those who have lost a friend or loved one.

I have been thinking about Grandma a lot this week. It was a Memorial Day tradition to go with her, and put flowers on the graves of anyone, and everyone we ever knew. It really was so important to her. She carefully chose the appropriate flowers for each person on her list. She also liked us to trim the grass around the graves and sweep off the grave markers. As we wandered from grave to grave, paying respects to family and friends, stories were shared and anyone who ever went with Grandma cherished this tradition. Oh, and when Memorial Day was over we had to go back and pick up all the flowers so we could use them again! 

Even though I’m usually not in Cheyenne on Memorial Day, I still put flowers on the graves when I’m home.
Last summer my brother Lloyd and I went to the graves. I love this picture because you can see our shadows. We hadn't trimmed to grass yet!

My Uncle Marion paid the ultimate sacrifice. Grandpa had given him some cows to start his own ranch and he left a girl he planned to marry to serve his country. Uncle Marion was in a tank and he grab hold of a fellow soldiers gun as he was getting out. The gun accidentally discharged and killed him. He was only 24 years old.  

Grandma always got very quiet when we put flowers on Uncle Marion's grave. His death was very difficult for her. 

My brother Marion served in the Army during the Vietnam War. I was always so grateful he made it home safe. 

As we walked around the cemetery where Tim's parents and brother are buried, I felt thankful we can carry on this tradition with our grandsons. We talked about how we will see our loved ones again someday, and we visit the graves to remember them.
 Best helper!


Cash had found a single white flowers and put it on Jeff's grave. I also saw him pick up flowers that had fallen over. He's a thoughtful boy.


 What a beautiful day! 

Meanwhile Chris was spending time with a pretty girl and eating delicious food in the Philippines. We missed you Chris.



Several tornadoes touch down in Cheyenne yesterday. My niece saw one, but thankfully she was safe. There was some damage but no one was hurt.



I think I've posted this before but in 1979 a tornado completely destroyed my Dad's house. Thankfully most people were at work when it happened. I was working at the Highway Department and the tornado passed right in front of our building. It sounded like a hundred airplanes were on the roof. Of course there was also hail and some flash flooding. Les and I drove out to Dad's place, it was strange because so many homes were destroyed and the area looked so different, there were no familiar landmarks. We wondered a few times if we were going in the right direction. We walked the path of the tornado to see if we could find some of Dad's things. Dad did find his scriptures. They were wet but he held onto them. He called them his tornado scriptures.

I will never forget how grateful I was that Dad was not hurt. I need to go to his grave soon.

I'm thankful traditions and for my family.