Wednesday, February 21, 2018

America's Pastor...


I remember as little girl listening to Billy Graham preach powerful sermons. He would fill stadiums. It's a memory that has stayed with me through the years. Grandma Federer also loved listening to him preach. She donated regularly to his ministry. I remember watching her write out a check and I would mail it. I believe Reverend Graham was chosen and gave hope to thousand of people. He prayed with and for many people. He preached that we should be "right with God." He taught that because of the Savior's atoning sacrifice we can repent and be saved. He preached a message of second chances.

He died this morning, he was 99 years old. I wonder if there will ever be anyone like him again.


I remember that he spoke with conviction and power. It made him famous and admired. Kings, queens, and many presidents sought his counsel and advice. He said that he prayed many times a day for the current president. 

He was very humble. He once said that, “My whole life has been to please the Lord and to honor Jesus, not to see me or to think of me.”

George Beverly Shea was the principle singer at the crusades. He would lead the music and sing. He would often sing "How Great Thou Art." It's always been my favorite hymn. I played that song on the piano at Dad and Mom's memorial services.

“God never takes away something from your life without replacing it with something better.”

“I've read the last page of the Bible, it's all going to turn out all right.”

“My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world.”
Reverend Graham has taken his place in his Heavenly home and has been reunited with his wife. He said, I just want to hear the Savior say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: ... enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:21)

I have no doubt he did indeed hear those words.