Monday, October 30, 2017

Our Savior's love...

I was in tears most of sacrament meeting yesterday. One of our neighbors passed away unexpectedly from complications after a non-life threatening surgery. I loved the Nichols from the first time I met them. I had the privilege of serving with them on a few committees. They are kind, generous, so loving... true disciples. 

Marjorie was the force behind the success of the ward Christmas party last year. I so enjoyed serving with her. Duane was such a big help too.


I will miss Duane. I enjoyed any chance I had to talk with him. Just two weeks ago I had a nice talk with him at the mailboxes. I am heartbroken. I will pray for Marjorie and their family.

Duane and Marjorie were both school teachers. Duane taught science in California. He was known as "The Great Motivator." This article was in the Los Angles Times:

Turning shy ninth-graders into contest winners is just part of his busy day. Besides the biomedical class, he teaches two physiology classes, one period of biology and devotes the rest of his time to student conferences and chairing the science department.

He also coordinates a $1-million grant to USC for education of science teachers and is past president of the California Biology Education Assn., a teachers' group.

"Every spare minute I'm (at school) I'm either meeting with a student or working with them," Nichols says. "I'm on the phone at 10 at night with students who are having problems with their research projects. Sometimes even on weekends I'll meet with them. I try hard to make Saturday my family day. I could be incredibly busy if I didn't try to do that."

Nichols appears to balance these demands calmly. However, he says, "on the inside I have constant lists of things I have to get done, and I'm driven by that. People say I'm low-key and I'm amazed, because underneath I have all this other stuff going on."

"Anybody who can get students to come at 7 a.m. has to be a great motivator and role model," says Assistant Principal Julie Hadden.

"I think his charisma is part of it. He's very warm. He has an extremely sharp sense of humor. (And) he knows all about the kids.

"There's another thing he does. There's a term: He walks the talk. He doesn't just give lip service to science. He knows about it. He's on top of what's going on. He's excited by science."


"Our Savior's Love" was the closing song yesterday. I couldn't sing the words, but it did give me hope and comfort. Sometimes I don't understand why bad things happen to such good people. I know Marjorie has great faith and will feel the Savior's love in the coming days.
Our Savior’s love
Shines like the sun with perfect light,
As from above
It breaks thru clouds of strife.
Lighting our way,
It leads us back into his sight,
Where we may stay
To share eternal life.

The Spirit, voice
Of goodness, whispers to our hearts
A better choice
Than evil’s anguished cries.
Loud may the sound
Of hope ring till all doubt departs,
And we are bound
To him by loving ties.

Our Father, God
Of all creation, hear us pray
In rev’rence, awed
By thy Son’s sacrifice.
Praises we sing.
We love thy law; we will obey.
Our heav’nly King,
In thee our hearts rejoice.