Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Deposits...

I made a last minute decision to go to Cheyenne over the weekend. I found out my niece Kim and her girls would be visiting for a few days, and staying with her sister Heidi who lives in Cheyenne. I have not seen Kim for over ten years. She lives in Michigan and I knew going to Cheyenne was my best chance to see her. Kim and Heidi are my brother Marion's girls. 


When Kim and Heidi were small, I had the joy and privilege of tending them on a regular basis. It is one of my happiest memories. I enjoyed playing with them and I love them almost as much as my own children. I would say they were "My girls." Heidi looks a bit like me.


Years ago I read the book by Steven Covey, "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and I happened to see the CD version in the store, so I thought it would be a good way to pass the time on the way to Cheyenne. For me Stephen Covey's metaphor of the "Emotional Bank Account" is his most powerful idea on improving and maintaining relationships with others. Our most precious relationships require constant deposits. Listening to Covey's ideas reminded me how important this is.

It is not been easy for me to maintain a personal emotional bank account with my family that lives in Cheyenne and other states. Just as with any bank account, we make deposits and withdrawals. But, instead of dealing with units of monetary value, we deal with emotional units. They are centered around trust, forgiveness, patience, and love. For years I have been making deposits to keep the relationships I have with my family strong despite to miles that separate us. For the most part my efforts have paid off. Sometimes my deposits require sacrifice. I know that I can't become overdrawn and risk distancing family members. I am not perfect, but I will always do what I can to keep my most important relationships strong! 

My girls

Theo, Brittany, Teigan, Raeland, Haylee, Kim, Ashlee, Heidi, Me, Rhonda and my brother Lloyd!

Kim had not been to Mom's grave so we met there. I got some flowers and balloons. I let Kim put the flowers on Mom's grave. We all cried and shared our favorite memories of Mom. We released the balloons up to Heaven. It was a sweet experience.

 Cousins Kim, Jimmy and Heidi

Haylee, Me, Kim, Ashlee, Jimmy, Heidi and Casey  

My "deposits" were so worth it this past weekend! 

And the icing on the cake was being able to attend Cali's baptism. It was wonderful to see Julie and her family. 

When I saw President and Sister Williams would be viewing Cali's baptism via Skype, it brought tears to my eyes.

 It was a beautiful baptism service and Cali is so sweet. 

Two of my dearest friends, Richard and Judy Brown. Richard baptized me way back in 1980 in the same chapel where Cali was baptized. 

By the way I put my bag in the car as I was leaving Highland, and left the clothes I was going to wear hanging in the closet. A quick trip to Target and all was well!

I am grateful for family and good friends...