Saturday, May 30, 2015

Last soccer game...

We have really enjoyed watching Cash play soccer this Spring.  As parents and grandparents we want our children and grandchildren to have experiences that will encourage them to give their best effort. We want them to to learn how to get along with others and to be team players.  

Cash is always the happiest boy on the team, but for this last game he seemed a little off. He didn't score a goal and began to cry. Of course we all wanted to comfort him. We all had our way of trying to make him feel better. We told him it was not a big deal and that the most important thing was to cheer on his team and to always try to do your best. I thought for a moment, Cash is only 4 and he's still has much to learn about life. This is all just good practice!

I think as grandparents we want may go overboard with the praise. I have watched Mark and Tiff and they acknowledge the effort rather than the outcome. All the while making sure Cash feels loved and cared for. Oh they are much better parents than I was!

Learning how to praise appropriately and what to praise is no doubt an important part of developing confidence. I think praising the effort and the process is key. It keeps us from always being focused on the so-called prize. I will try not to over-praise or share my opinions. What do I know, I'm just the grandma with a grandma's heart!

I know Cash, Colby and Grey will do great things. Cash often prays, "Help us to do great things." They will find things they are good at and enjoying doing. They will learn, because they have devoted, wise parents that they have to work hard for the best things in life!

Cash's soccer team... Adam was a great coach, he wanted them to have fun. His coaching style was appropriate for their age. As you can see, Cash was smiling by the end of the game!

After the game Cash and I had lunch together. We went to Chick-fil-a and then he wanted to play at the big toy. We talked and laughed and enjoyed the warm Spring day!



I love you Cash!