Thursday, November 27, 2014

TBT ~ Throwback Thursday... Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandpa Federer

Mom, Me, Grandma, Grandpa, Dad, Lloyd, Ernie, Marion and Les

Sandwiched somewhere between Halloween and Christmas is a Thursday holiday– Thanksgiving. I am grateful for a day that redirects me to pause and be grateful. In the fall of 1621, the Pilgrims had been in America less than a year. During those months, over half their original population died from disease or starvation. The Pilgrims hosted the first feast not to try out their latest recipes, but to celebrate life with their Indian friends and give thanks to God for His provision in difficult circumstances. I don’t want to ever forget the reason for the celebration of the that first Thanksgiving. My Grandma Federer taught me about gratitude and the importance of gathering as a family to give thanks. She prepared a feast that was unmatched and set the most beautiful table as an expression of love for her family. I found this picture of my family gathered around her table in my Mom's things. It will always be one of my choicest memories. I am so grateful for all that I have been given. I'm also grateful I can gather with my family this Thanksgiving.