Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kindness



I really wanted to go to Cheyenne last weekend to attend a Benefit for my nephew Theo. I checked the road conditions across I-80 and there were several rough spots with blowing and drifting snow. There was also a blizzard warning for the Cheyenne area. I was so bummed, but it wasn't worth the risk.

By the way my brother said it snowed pretty hard for about 15 minutes and then cleared up before the Benefit started.

My cousin Chad along with two other friends organized the event. All the proceeds will go to Theo and his family to help with medical expenses incurred from the injuries he received while steer wrestling last November. Theo had a severe, traumatic brain injury and was in the hospital for over two months.
So many people donated items for a silent auction... like a 3 day elk hunt, a pheasant hunt, a ranch broke mare, numerous western prints, and a custom made bit, just to mention a few.
My niece Mandy and her hubby donated this beautiful, registered paint mare named Claire. She fetched $2,600.00 at the Benefit.

My brother Kenny, who is a master-carpenter made this unique coffee table.

It's labor intensive to make, with layers of polyurethane that gives the table a beautiful sheen. Kenny was thrilled when it was purchased for $650.00!

I donated this afghan that I crocheted. If Grandma Federer were still alive, this is something she would have done. She was always making something that she would donate to be raffled off for a worthy cause. It sold for a respectable $110.00. 

My nephew Jimmy placed a bid but someone out-bid him. He talked to the man who got it and told him he was Theo's cousin and that I was his aunt. Jimmy offered to buy it back but the man wouldn't take the money and gave it to him. Jimmy wants to give it to his daughter Shaylynn when she is older. He told me the afghan is on his bed and that it is nice. Jimmy said he was not leaving without it! It warmed my heart to know a family member ended up getting the afghan.


There were many other generous acts of kindness that night. Someone bought a ton of hay, then gave it back to be auctioned off again, this happened a third time so the hay sold for almost $2000,00. The event was a huge success, over $23,000.00 was raised. This will go along way to help Theo and his family.

I know Theo was overwhelmed and so grateful to everyone who helped