Monday, August 20, 2012

Quote for the Week - Enough

“If you are not enough without it, 
you will never be enough with it.” 


I heard this quoted in one of the classes I attended at Education Week. It comes from the comedy classic "Cool Runnings" ... the movie about the Jamaican Bobsled team. The coach in the movie is played by John Candy and throughout the movie he is the exact opposite of what you would expect from a “great coach.” He’s not very disciplined. He doesn’t even try hard. As the move progresses you learn that he got kicked out of the sport he loved, bobsledding, for cheating. 

It's a funny movie that keeps you laughing and then it finally transitions to that pivotal moment. The central character in the movie finally has that “heart to heart” talk with the coach and asks him “Why did you cheat?” The laughable, fool hardy, undisciplined coach finally opens up and shares “I let the pressure get to me. I felt like I HAD to win. Don’t let that happen to you. If there is one thing I want you to know” and here is the line, “If you are not enough without it, you will never be enough with it.”