Thursday, August 16, 2012

Education Week 2012

I love Education Week, I only attended one day this year but it was a doozy! So many great presenters and classes. I can't believe Education Week is in its 90th year!
I also love this year’s theme, taken from Proverbs 29:18, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”


My friend Lorie and I spent the entire day running from class to class. Our last class was a presentation by our friend and neighbor Howard Rainer.

Howard is a Taos Pueblo-Creek Indian from Taos Pueblo, New Mexico. He has been a professional photographer for many years. His work has been featured in Native Peoples Magazine, This People Magazine, New Mexico Magazine and Southwest Art and has published several books of his photography and poetry. Howard recently retired as the administrator of the Native American Education Outreach Programs at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He is considered one of the leading Native American trainers in providing workshops in building self esteem and enhancing motivation among Native American adults and young people. He has given his entire career to making life better for Native Americans. I am in awe of his service.

Beckie (Howard's wife and my dear friend) ~ Lorie ~ Howard ~ Me

Howard's presentation was titled "Through the Lens of a Camera: Seeing the Greatest of God". The photos were breathtaking. The first segment was in black and white, the second was taken in the Fall and last was all eagles. He described how difficult it is to capture an eagle in flight.  Many of the photos were taken in Alaska. He has a gift and really does see the greatness of God in all creation. It's great to have something you are passionate about. The beautiful images were set to his brother John's haunting flute music. You can also here Howard singing in his native language and playing the drums. I have had the privilege of hearing him in person. The language is not written down, it's passed down from generation to generation.

I wish I could show some of the images. He is the process of publishing them in a book. I will be first in line to get one! 

Howard shared some of my favorites scriptures during the presentation:

"all things denote there is a God; yea even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it,..." Alma 30:44

"Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please to eye and to gladden the heart;" D&C 59:18

Howard says the elements of being a good photographer are:
  1. Light 
  2. Intuition
  3. Heart
  4. Get out there and get the picture you want 

 He has inspired me, and I want one of these!