Friday, May 25, 2012

Just 3 Words

LONE STAR QUILT

This is a quilt that Grandma Federer made for my brother Kenny. When I was in Cheyenne last month he asked me if I would mend some of the places on the quilt where the seams have come apart. He was so happy when I said I could and grateful to allow someone to take it that knows of its priceless value.

Grandma made the quilt in 1976, the year of The United States Bicentennial Celebration. Of course it had to be red, white and blue. I washed the quilt and it really brightened up. It's in great condition for being 36 years old.

Grandma made so many quilts. All of her children and grandchildren were recipients of these treasures. 


She even made a few for her great-grandchildren before she died. Grandma made this Flower Garden baby quilt for Christopher. (Tim made the Windsor cradle) I wish I had pictures of all the quilts she made.

Grandma made this gorgeous Six-point Star quilt for my brother Les and my Mom gave it to me after he passed away.

 Green was his favorite color.

Grandma made this quilt in 1975, it was a wedding gift for my brother Ernie and my sister-in-law Marilyn. She had a special knack for coordinating colors. What a beautiful quilt!

She made this one for me, also in 1976. Most of the fabric she used are scraps from dresses my Mom made me. It's called a Flower Garden and I love it.

I spent a summer with Grandma and she taught me how to piece quilts. This was before rotary cutters. She sewed all the pieced together by hand. This was the first quilt I made.

This was one of the last quilts Grandma made in 1984, it was for my Aunt Bernice. I loved sitting on the couch and watching her sew, she never had idle hands. I miss her.