Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cash's Chair


My mother-in-law Johnnie Belle gave us this chair when we still lived in Cheyenne. My sister-in-law Terri used it, so it's about 45 years old. It was light blue when we got it. I re-finished it with a tan stain.



Christopher and Mark both used the chair for several years.

Tim and I re-finished it again using milk-paint... Tim did most of the work but I did sand it and get all ready for him to paint. 

One of the Windsor chairs Tim has made and my personal favorite

Tim makes Windsor chairs and they are traditionally finished with milk-paint. Milk-paint is an all-natural product consisting mainly of milk, lime and earth pigments. The look and texture are a little crude; the colors are genuine. I love the way the finish looks. It's quit a process to use milk-paint. Tim applied several coats of paint, then he rubs the paint off appropriate corners and edges, creating the impression of wear through long use. The first coat of paint can be a different color than the top coat, adding to the effect. Linseed oil competes the finish.


I think it turned out really nice. In our throw-away society, I'm thankful to have a few family heirlooms.

I really love this chair and am so happy that my grandson Cash will be using it. 



However, I'm a little sad he's graduating from his highchair to a toddler chair. 

Cash was so full after eating a bunch of fresh blueberries and raspberries. He LOVES berries!  

I think he wants to unbutton his pants!