Monday, January 30, 2012

Quotes for the Week - Saying Goodbye


Why does it take a minute to say 
hello and forever to say goodbye?  
I have been saying goodbye to my Dad for almost 19 years. I believe that I will see him again, but being separated from the ones you love is so hard.

Dad passed away September 3, 1993 and I can honestly say that not a day goes by that I don't think about him. Dad had two happy years with his sweetheart Alice. He knew in his heart that he didn't have long to live and he made a very loving and selfless decision to move to Ogden with Alice. He wanted to make sure she was comfortable and in the home where she had lived for many years. He passed away three weeks later. I was granted a tender mercy because I was able to drive to Ogden everyday to be with him and was with him when he passed away.

I mentioned in a earlier post (http://eileenandtim.blogspot.com/2009/05/hermana-savage.html) that my comfort food of choice is a McDonald's filet-o-fish sandwich. I have one when I am sad. That all started when I made those trips to Ogden to see Dad. There was a McDonald's near the hospital and after spending the day with Dad, I would swing through the drive-up and order a filet-o-fish to eat on the way home. 
Silly maybe, but it did make me feel better.

Alice had some of Dad's things at her home in Ogden. She asked me if she could keep them until she died, namely a set of Bavarian china that Grandma Federer gave Dad. Dad told me before he died that he wanted me to have the dishes but I didn't mind letting Alice enjoy them these past years. 

Alice's daughter Judy has been so kind to me. Since Alice's passing she has been going through her things. She boxed up the china and I am so grateful to her. I went to Ogden to get the china and some other treasures.

Johann Haviland China was a branch of French porcelain manufacturer, Haviland et Cie. A son of the firm's founder, Johann settled in Bavaria, Germany to escape heavy French competition in the china industry. It also happened that Bavaria was one of the few locations in which Kaolin, or white porcelain clay, could be found. Johann Haviland China remained a family enterprise until 1924. It was then sold to various companies, finally ceasing production in the 1980s. The Blue Garland pattern was one of the company's most famous.

Blue is my favorite color and I think the "Blue Garland" pattern is so sweet. The dishes are considered to be antique and can still be purchased online. I hope to add to the set. 


I would love to visit Bavaria, we were so close when we went to Denmark to pick up Mark from his mission!

I have always wanted to go to Germany, since it's the country of my ancestral heritage.

More treasure's... Dad's Stetson cowboy hat, Lucchese boots, silver dollar belt buckle and belt.

Dad's wallet with his temple recommend inside

United States flag in honor of his military service

Notes from when he gave a lesson at church and from when he would study the scriptures

He wrote a letter to President Benson, (the prophet of our church at the time), to thank him for something he said in general conference. President Benson replied to the letter and told him he was "always grateful to know when something he said affects the life of another for good."  


I am most grateful to have Dad's journal. He started recording his thoughts on May 8, 1986 and the last entry was November 15, 1992. I read a page every night, I relish every word.

The last few days have been very emotional for me. I love going through Dad's things and holding them but I miss him.  He will be in my heart for always.

You'll be in my heart  
Yes, you'll be in my heart  
From this day on, 
Now and forever more
Oh, you'll be in my heart 
No matter what they say 
You'll be in my heart, 
Always, always  
Yes I'll be with you
Cause I'll be there for you
Always  
Always and always 
 Just look over your shoulder 
Just look over your shoulder
Just look over your shoulder 
I'll be there for you always... always
~ Phil Collins (Tarzan)