Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Each Life That Touches Our for Good...

For three Friday's in a row I have attended memorial services for three amazing women. The first was held on December 23 for a dear neighbor and friend, Shirley Garrett.

Shirley was a devoted wife and mother. She loved to host parties and was a great cook. I visited her often, she told me many times she wanted to compile a cookbook with her favorite recipes. She had many boxes and notebooks of recipes. She couldn't imagine ever getting them organized into a book. Every time I saw her I would encourage to try. I gave her some suggestions of companies who publish cookbooks. 

She decided to do it and mentioned me in her cookbook: Eileen Williams was the one who suggested that I compile these recipes and brought me the material I needed to get started. Without her, this book never would have been. Thanks, Eileen. 

I'm so grateful I have one of those cookbooks!

 



The next was on December 30 for Billie Ausman, my sister-in-law Pam's mother.




Billie was so dear to all of us. 
We got to see her often when she came to Utah for visits. 

 My Mom, Nelle ~ Johnnie Belle ~ Billie

She was brave and strong. She faced life's challenges with a smile. Pam took care of Billie for the last year and a half. I admire Pam more than I can say. I gave her a card that really describes the feelings in my heart for her...

I’m sure you’ll miss her. 
The very one who rocked you
In the beginning
Needed you most in the end…
You were there with your tender heart
And your steadfast loyalty,
Doing the right thing
Exactly the way she would have hoped
Exactly the way she taught you to do.
What a beautiful tribute to your mother.
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Alice P. Hornaday Federer
   
The last was on January 6 for my "other mom", Alice. Dad struggled to find his true love but when he met Alice that was over. They fell in love and had two wonderful years together before Dad passed away in 1993. It was the happiest time of their lives. Alice would often say that she had more love with him than her whole life put together.
Alice had a severe form of osteoporosis and has been bed-ridden for two years... two years! She never complained and tried to find something good in each day.


Grandma Alice ~ Chris (I think he looks like Tucker in this picture!) ~ Grandma Johnnie Belle

Alice's memorial service was in Ogden where she lived for many years.

Tim doesn't usually take pictures when we are at a church but he discreetly took this one of me. I was thankful I got to say a few words at the service. I was most grateful to share my testimony that this life is not the end, that because of the Savior's redeeming love we can look forward to a joyful reunion with those we love someday. I want to be worthy of that blessing.

Tears come to my eyes as I think of the passing of these dear women, women who will always remain a part of our lives.
  
The words of the hymn entitled, 'Each Life That Touches Ours for Good' gives the best description of my feelings for Shirley, Billie and Alice... whose departure gives us a sweet and hallowed memory that we will hold forever in our hearts:

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.


What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.


When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.



For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.


~ Karen Lynn Davidson