Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chicago or Bust!

Sister Kay Dangerfield a.k.a. Danger-Mom

Aunt Kay has been serving and giving her entire life. She always put others needs ahead of her own... always. It was not a surprise when she told me she wanted to serve a mission.

She was called to the Illinois Chicago Mission and has been serving at the mission office. She helped President and Sister Doll keep track of over 160 missionaries in that area. Aunt Kay's companion, Sister Heward also helped in the office. She finished her mission about a month ago and had already returned to her home in Idaho. 


Elder and Sister Anderson are from the Chicago area and are serving at the mission office.

President and Sister Doll are also from California. Aunt Kay has known them for many years and they were so happy she could serve with them. The Doll's were called to serve for three years and have about one year left. 

Everyone loved Aunt Kay and she served with all her heart for one year. Aunt Kay enjoyed watching over all the missionaries hence the nickname Danger-Mom!

A few months ago Aunt Kay asked me if I would come to Chicago. She had her car there and needed help driving back to her home in California. I was delighted to do that but I told her one week was my limit to be away from Cash! We had originally planned to drive to Oklahoma on August 31st and visit with Aunt Bernice then go to Cheyenne to see Uncle Carl. We got word that Uncle Carl had passed away August 25th so we changed our plans because we wanted to be at his memorial service on August 29th in Cheyenne. I flew to Chicago on Friday, August 26th and we left the next morning. We drove 10 hours and decided to spend the night in Grand Island, Nebraska. We had an easy 5 hour drive Sunday to Cheyenne. I did most of the driving so Aunt Kay could rest and relax.

Aunt Kay was sad to leave, she enjoyed serving. She came to love the people she served with. She did her best to to fulfill her responsibility as a missionary. 

Sister Doll had to give her one more hug before we left. I was so honored to be with her as she concluded this chapter in her life. She is an inspiration to me and I love her.