Monday, August 29, 2011

Quote for the Week - Powerful Words

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."
~ Kathryn Stockett (The Help)

A few months ago I read the book The Help. I saw the movie last week with my friend Billie and we loved it. A young white gal named Skeeter writes a book about the racism encountered by black maids working for white families and raising their kids in the 1960's. Aibileen, one of the main character maids and Skeeter's first story to interview for in her book had an endearing scene over and over in the movie. It involved a little girl called May Mobley, the daughter of the woman Aibileen works for. She raised her with imprinting in her mind three sentences, over and over and over again, having her repeat them back to her. They were to raise her self esteem and give her a solid foundation in her young life. They were: "I is kind. I is smart. I is important."Sometimes a few words are very powerful.