Monday, July 18, 2011

Quote for the Week - Betty Ford

Honoring Betty Ford...
Former First Lady Betty Ford died last week at age 93. I have always admired her strength and courage. She was a breast cancer survivor and recovering addict. She admitted her addiction to drugs and alcohol in an era where the subject was very taboo. She co-founded a treatment center and devoted her life to helping others with addictions.

As I read an account of the funeral service, a poem that she chose to be read moved me.
The poem that Mrs. Ford selected is by Emily Dickinson entitled, "If I can stop one heart from breaking."  This is a short poem, but one with a powerful message.

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."