Friday, January 28, 2011

The Joy of Being Grand...

a grandmother that is!

Someone said to me the other day that my blog posts about Cash make me sound like I'm his mother, and that kind of hurts my feelings. But the things I write here, are an extension of my journal.  And, after all, he is my first grandchild. I take a lot of picture and share my feelings about him because I want to remember every precious moment. I know I'm not his mother, he has a wonderful, loving, tender, patient, fun and caring perfect mother - our sweet Tiffy.

Yes, I talk about how much he weighs and all the new things he does. He is four months old now and Mark and Tiff invited me to go with them to his check up last week.  He weighs 16 pounds 4 ounces. He has gained nine pounds since he was born! He is one healthy, happy boy. He had to have his next round of immunizations, but he took it like "man" (just like his dad does). Thankfully he didn't have any side effects. His pediatrician Dr. Glade, is the same Doc that took care of Christopher and Mark. At one point during the check up, he turned and looked straight at Mark and Tiff and said, "I hope you know how important your role as  parents is." I know they do, and I'm so proud of the way they care for Cash. Cash smiles every time he catches them in is line of sight - especially when he sees Tiff.  His whole face just lights up.

When I get to be with Cash I hang on to every smile and expression his sweet face makes. I am watchful and anxious about any little new thing he does, like holding onto his toys or rolling on his side. I know how fleeting the precious moments from infancy to childhood are, and I want to take them all in.

I love Cash so unconditionally, I am afraid I'll drown the poor little guy. So I try to spread those overflowing feelings of love to Tiff and Mark and Chris and Tim. 

I look into Cash's eyes and see Mark and occasionally his expressions remind me of Tiffani. He is so perfect. I love his fingers and his chubby toes. I love it when he falls asleep in my arms. I love it when he coos and laughs.

I have heard friends say that becoming a grandmother makes them feel old. It makes me feel young, it makes me know what matters; it wakes me up and enlivens me.

Grandmas are for stories
about things of long ago.
Grandmas are for caring
about all this things you know.
Grandmas are for rocking you
and singing you to sleep.
Grandmas are for giving you
nice memories to keep.
Grandmas are for knowing
all the things you're dreaming of...
But, the most important thing of all,
Grandmas are for love.
~Author Unknown