Friday, April 23, 2010

A Woman's Reach


"A woman's reach is bounded only by what her mind accepts and her heart allows."
~ Belle Spafford


This past Thursday was our Spring leadership training meeting. The theme for the night, "A Woman's Reach" was inspired by a book I read by Belle Spafford. Belle was the ninth general Relief Society president of our church and served for 29 years.

The women who are serving in ward Relief Society presidencies are invited to attend the training meeting. Our current general Relief Society president, Julie Beck encouraged us to study the work and history of Relief Society. We invited the sisters to come on a journey with us through 168 years of what is an extraordinary history.

We presented a readers theater and 10 sisters portrayed some of the past presidents. We dressed to appear like that president. We honored them for their influence and the many things they were able to accomplish.


My wonderful, amazing presidency, I love them so much. They have been by my side for over 4 years now. Val was our narrator, Ann portrayed Emmeline Wells, I was Clarissa Williams of course and Valerie was our current president, Julie Beck. It was fascinating to study their lives.

We can't have a Relief Society meeting without quilt displays. Ann's mother made all these beautiful quilt blocks.

The first general Relief Society president was Emma Smith.

We displayed pictures of the woman who have had an influence in our lives.

Our mothers and grandmothers have been our greatest influence. I made this quilt while I was living with my grandmother one summer.

We served Pioneer Parfaits and they were a big hit.

Whitney is president of the young single adult ward. Her parfait was a work of art. I love her, she is a wonderful leader. I was sad to here she bought a condo in Orem and will be moving soon.

The meeting went so well. We had a meaningful discussion after the readers theater. All the hard work and preparation paid off.

My favorite quotes from the meeting, and you know I love a good quote!

"Here's the truth about womanhood. Our Father gave His daughters a divine endowment that gives us unique influence. First and foremost, we have the high privilege of bearing children ... No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation.
We are the Lord's secret weapon ...
The world won't tell us this stunning truth, but the Spirit will ... It is time for us to wake up to the potential magnitude of our full influence as latter-day woman of God and then to arise and do what we were sent here to do."

"I've never been able to find the words to adequately articulate the depth and breadth of a righteous woman's reach. It is simply not possible to measure or limit the influence a righteous woman has ..." ~ Sheri Dew

I am very thankful for the women in my life, don't ever forget the influence for good that you have!