Monday, January 18, 2010

Quote for the week

There are no regrets in life, just lessons. 

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

~ Alexander Graham Bell


Awhile ago, an “American Idol” show featured a man who cracked under the pressure of the Hollywood round, and he voluntarily took himself out of the running at that point to preserve his sanity. When he walked back into the 
testing room for the next year’s audition, he explained to the judges that he had awakened every day since that fateful decision, and had regretted not seeing the competition through. He said that he was there to try out again to prove to himself that he wasn’t a quitter, or to avoid living with any more regrets. He sang his heart out, made it through to the Hollywood round again, and walked out with tears streaming down his face, saying he had just “won,” regardless of the final outcome of this year’s show.

Occasionally I here someone say they don't have any regrets. How is that possible? There is no such thing as a life without any regrets. I have regretted decisions made in haste, things I have said, being afraid to try new things and sometimes my actions. Regrets can become either burdens that interfere with your present happiness and restrict your future, or motivation to move forward. I think the secret is to keep trying and to always be moving forward. I pray for the courage to live just for today without regrets!

I have regretted not visiting my Dad's wife, Alice and much I probably should. So Friday I drove to Ogden to see her. She is very ill with osteoporosis and it has left her completely bedridden. Going to Ogden is never easy for me because that is where Dad passed away. That is where he spent the last three weeks of his life. However, I am so glad I went. Alice and I had a nice visit. She remains positive and happy despite her present circumstances. She has a strong testimony and tremendous faith.


I really do want to live my life without serious regrets, no unfinished business 

 ... just for today.