Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grandma Federer - Homestead Book #5


Edna May and Mabel Nannie Parker


Frank Mirlen Parker

My Great-Grandfather, George Johnson Parker was born August 31, 1874 in Missouri. His father, James Thornton Parker was born in Indiana and his mother Mary Taylor "Molly" Zion was born in Virginia.
My Great-Grandmother, Ivor Nora Stevens was born March 3, 1877 in Missouri to Oliver Howard Stevens and Lizzie Bell Hocker.
My Great-Grandparents were married in 1897 and had three children who were all born in Missouri ~ Edna May (My Grandmother), Mabel Nannie and Frank.

When Grandma was 9 years old they moved to Wyoming. All their relatives were very concerned about them going out West and thought they would be killed by Indians!



I remember visiting Aunt Mabel at her yellow house in Cheyenne. It was always very neat and tidy. Sadly she never had children. My Mom helped her many times when she needed a room painted or new wallpaper hung. Aunt Mabel crocheted this beautiful afghan for my high school graduation. Her stitches were perfect, small and so uniform. I also remember she always gave me a new pair of pajamas every Christmas, a tradition I started with my sons.


Grandma Federer was loved by all who knew her. I cherished the quilts she made for me. She belonged to several charitable organization. She made this quilt for the Stride Learning Center. Some lucky ticket holder won this quilt at a bazaar held by the "Know Your Neighbor Club." Grandma donated many quilts to help raise money to benefit Stride. Someone asked why she donated a quilt year after year and she replied, "It's just something I want to do." She looks so cute in her pantsuit!

I love this poem that was written by Phyllis Beving.
The Quilt
Little scraps of gingham bits of calico
Saved from sewing baskets many years ago.
Countless tiny stitches each one like the last
Hidden little knots to hold the stitches fast
Hour after hour under candlelight
Grandma sat there sewing far into the night.
Flashing silver needles covered now with rust
Loving hands that held them long have turned to dust
Though her few possessions didn't seem like much
She created beauty with her gentle touch
Legacies of beauty so a wise man told
Fill our lives with beauty richer far than gold.

I miss her loving ways, her simple faith and steady guiding hand. I could devote an entire book just to her and all the ways she blessed our lives.

I don't remember Uncle Frank and I can't remember hearing stories about him so I will keep searching.

More about Great-Grandpa and Great-Grandma Parker next time.