Monday, August 10, 2009

Quote for the week



The hills are alive
With the sound of music
With songs they have sung
For a thousand years

The hills fill my heart
With the sound of music
My heart wants to sing ev'ry song it hears

My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
That rise from the lake to the trees
My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
From a church on a breeze

To laugh like a brook when it trips and falls
Over stones on its way
To sing through the night
Like a lark who is learning to prey

I go to the hills
When my heart is lonely
I know I will hear
What I've heard before

My heart will be blessed
With the sound of music
And I'll sing once more

~ Oscar Hammerstein II
A new tradition ~ for several years Tim and I have attended the Deer Valley Musical Festival. It is an amazing outdoor experience of world class music. This year was no exception. We enjoyed the Utah Symphony and three incredibly talented vocalists from a group called Bravo Broadway. This years program was a tribute to Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. You haven't lived until you hear The Sound of Music sung in this beautiful mountain setting. Lisa Vroman, who has portrayed Christine in Phantom longer than any other performer sang this song ~ it gave me chills. The night was filled with more favorite songs from The King and I, Oklahoma, South Pacific and of course The Sound of Music. Such a great night.

We also enjoy people watching, with a quite a diverse group attending the festival. This man had on a hairy hat and we discovered when he took it off, that he had NO hair!!

We also enjoyed a glass of wine and some cheese ~ just kidding, hot chocolate for us! It was about 52 degrees so we put on our coats and actually loved the crisp night air.