Friday, August 21, 2009

BYU Education Week ...

"In thy light shall we see light" ~ Psalm 36:9. This scripture was chosen as the theme for the conference to emphasize that it is by the Light of Christ that we see all things clearly. I have been going to Education Week for almost 15 years along with a gazillion other people! It is held on the BYU campus. More than 1,000 classes are offered on hundreds of topics.
Many BYU faculty members teach the classes along with other qualified presenters from many backgrounds. This picture is for Susan ~ one our all time favorite teachers, S. Michael Wilcox!

We were taught by President Boyd K. Packer at a devotional Tuesday morning.
I went with my dear friend, Beckie Rainer to get educated! Beckie is so smart, very intelligent. She loves learning and takes copious notes. If we had gone to school together, I would have for sure asked to borrow her notes! She also retains things very well, something that mostly eludes me. Beckie is also one of the most compassionate friends I have. She gives hours and hours of service every year. She serves at the temple, does lots of family history work and some kind of humanitarian service nearly every week. Beside that she is a wonderful wife, mother and grandmother. And ... she has visited every temple in Canada and the United States except Lubbock, Texas. I think that is soooo cool! You can see I am big fan of Beckie. We enjoyed a wonderful week that included more than just attending the classes. We laughed, talked, went to lunch and shared ideas. One of my favorite classes this year was taught by Robert Millet called "O to Grace How Great a Debtor." Brother Millet told the story of John Newton. He wrote the words to one of the most beloved hymns of all time Amazing Grace, while working as an evangelical pastor. Son of the commander of a merchant ship, Newton was captain of a slave ship for many years, until he underwent a dramatic religious conversion while steering his vessel through a storm.

Repenting and regretting the misery he had inflicted on the thousands of human cargo he had transported across the Middle Passage for many years, he devoted his life to the Church, and wrote the lyrics to many hymns which are still popular today.

In 1780 Newton left Olney to become rector of St. Mary Woolnoth, St. Mary Woolchurch, in London. There he drew large congregations and influenced many, among them William Wilberforce. Newton continued to preach until the last year of life, although he was blind by that time. He died in London December 21, 1807.

I think his story is inspiring and Amazing Grace will always be one of my favorite hymns.

(There is a great movie available on DVD called Amazing Grace that tells this story in depth.)

Newton said the two things he knew for sure were "that he was a great sinner and that Jesus Christ is a great savior."

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear. And Grace, my fears relieved. How precious did that Grace appear The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come; 'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me. His word my hope secures. He will my shield and portion be, As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, And mortal life shall cease, I shall possess within the veil, A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years Bright shining as the sun. We've no less days to sing God's praise Than when we've first begun.