Friday, January 30, 2009

Relief Society Building

When we build, let us think that we build forever.
Let it not be for present delight nor for present use
alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will
thank us for; and let us think, as we lay stone on
stone, that a time is to come when those stones
will be held sacred because our hands have
touched them, and that men will say, as they look
upon the labor and wrought substance of them,
“See! This our father (and mother) did for us.” __John Ruskin

Almost fifty three years ago, on October 3, 1956, President David O. McKay dedicated the Relief Society Building. In October 1947 Relief Society general president Belle S. Spafford asked all the Relief Society sisters to donate $5 and each stake Relief Society to donate one-half of their funds to the building of this building. It stands today as an example of service and sacrifice.


The Relief Society Building is located in Salt Lake City, and is
in the shadow of the majestic Salt Lake Temple ...


... the Conference Center and Church Office Building.

A few months ago I received an email that volunteers were needed at the Relief Society Building. The requirements were that you are currently a stake Relief Society president and that you would be available to serve twice a month. Since I won't always be a stake Relief Society president, I jumped at the chance. Yes, I am ridin' the wave!!

Here I am at my desk and notice my official name tag!! My assignment is in the Resource Room located on the lower level of the building. It is full of ideas and exhibits for Primary, Young Women's and of course, Relief Society. We have visitors from all over the world
.

In my capacity as a Church-service volunteer, I represent the Church and the Relief Society general presidency and board. I feel a wonderful spirit of love and cooperation when I am in the building.

This is a beautiful quilt that you just have to see to believe. There are hundreds of leaves that have been cut and ironed on the fabric.

I love this display of the Savior - it is in the Young Women's section.

Another must see is this picture representing the Ten Virgins.

Great- Grandmother Clarissa Williams shown on the timeline!!

I have had the privilege of meeting and talking with the general Relief Society presidency several times as their offices are located on the second floor. They are amazing women who desire to bless women around the world. It is a joy to rub shoulders with them.

If you are ever in the neighborhood, stop in and say Hi!!