Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Favorite Cowboy

Can it be that it has been 15 years since my Dad passed away? He was just 66 years old and I miss him everyday. He was my example - he worked hard, gave everyone the benefit of the doubt, honored his parents and was grateful for all he had been given. I always knew he loved me.

Having been gone from Cheyenne for over 20 years, I can say with conviction, that it takes a special kind of person who likes to live on the prairies of Wyoming. And even though I now live in a green valley with many trees, I often miss the serenity and peacefulness of the prairies. Dad loved those prairies and in them he took strength, because of their closeness to the Lord, and its symbol as an unobstructed view into the eternities. Not long after he was baptized he received his patriarchal blessing. One line I love goes like this: "Truly desire to be a man of Christ so that your vision can be increased just like as on a clear day you can see for miles across the prairies a man of Christ with clear vision will be able to see into the eternities." He is a man of Christ and if he were here today, he would tell you without question that the most important event in his life was when he joined the church. I have many letters from him and he always told me how happy he was since being baptized and how good Heavenly Father was to him. He was only a members for 5 years before his death but embraced the gospel and had a firm testimony. My comfort comes in knowing that I will see him again. 
 
Save a chair for me Dad!