Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"Bye, Bye for now" Part 1...

I knew it was time to head back to Cheyenne. I drove over on July 10, 2014.

I told my brother I didn't want to stay at a hotel and he said I could stay at his house. A few years ago Lloyd went through a difficult divorce. In the process he had to part with many of his possession.

He didn't have a bed in the spare bedroom but he told me he would get one. On his own he bought a bed, a pretty comforter and sheets. 

I was very comfortable staying at Lloyd's house. We had many long talks that were helpful. He is wise, clever and has a great sense of humor. We played cards and ate hamburgers and corn. 

Cowboys need to wash their Wranglers once in awhile!




I would pet his horses every morning. We wanted to go for a ride, but there wasn't time. We knew we had to spend every spare minute with Mom.

Every morning I went for walk across the prairies. I would pray and cry. I felt a lot of gratitude for family.

I remembered how hard Mom and Dad worked to give us a good life. They gave us all they had.

 This road will always lead to home.

In the distance you can Grandpa and Grandma Federer's ranch. 
I felt them near.

The prairies that I walked and played on as a child were green and beautiful. 

Davis Hospice Center

hospice care 01 Davis Hospice Photos
Mom was blessed to spend her last days at a wonderful hospice facility.

Walking in her room for the first time was difficult but after seeing for myself that she was receiving excellent care, some of my worries faded.

My brother Lloyd never missed a day to be with her. He would hold her hand, massage her feet and tell her that he loved her.

She smiled when she saw me. I said, "I love you Mom" and she said, "I love you too sweetheart." It was difficult for her to talk but sometimes I could understand what she was trying to say. She wasn't eating but occasionally she would take a sip of water or Ensure. I held her hand and prayed more than I ever have in my entire life.